Interbasin Transfer (IBT) News

Expert Comments on IBT Case
Comments provided by Wright Water Engineers, Inc.
SC Attorney General Joins Interbasin Transfer Fight!
On June 7, 2007 SC Attorney General Henry McMaster filed an injunction and complaint with United States Supreme Court to stop the Concord-Kannapolis Interbasin Transfer.
Catawba Riverkeeper Foundation files suit to stop Concord-Kannapolis Interbasin Transfer
On March 27, 2007 we filed a contested case hearing petition before the NC Office of Administrative Hearings to stop Concord and Kannapolis from draining millions of gallons of water from the Catawba River.
CRF comments to NC EMC on Concord-Kannapolis IBT Request
Interbasin Transfers Devastate Rivers
There is a long and sad history chronicling the devastation caused when interbasin transfers are allowed to permanently remove water from rivers. Out west, the mighty Colorado River carved the Grand Canyon. There are so many interbasin transfers permitted from the Colorado River now that this quintessential and iconic American River no longer flows to the sea. The Colorado is one of the most famous and treasured rivers in the world and yet interbasin transfers were allowed to destroy the downstream portion of the river. Don't let this happen to the Catawba!
IBT map August 2006.jpg
Status of Catawba River Basin Local Government Opposition to the Concord/Kannapolis Interbasin Transfer Map
ConKan IBT Talking Points July 5 2006.pdf
Dr. Johnson's Concord-Kannapolis IBT Power Point Presentation
See Professor Johnson 's main power point presentation detailing concerns and problems with the Concord-Kannapolis Interbasin Transfer request.
Dr. Johnson's Second Power Point Presentation illustrating why upstream is affected by the Concord-Kannapolis Interbasin Transfer Proposal
See why Dr. Johnson gives the Final EIS for the Concord-Kannapolis IBT a failing grade.
IBT Solidarity Poster
Show everyone that the Catawba River Basin is united in its opposition to the Concord-Kannapolis Interbasin Transfer by printing this poster and displaying it in your yard, at home, on your car or in your personal space at work.
NO IBT Stickers
Click below to download Avery 5095 Name Badge Labels that you can print on stickers.
IBT lawsuit press conf2 June 2007.jpg
Legal Action against the Concord Kannapolis Interbasin Transfer
On March 28, 2007 the Southern Environmental Law Center filed a petition for a contested case hearing on behalf of the Catawba Riverkeeper Foundation.
Union-Lancaster IBT
In February 2005, Union County filed a draft environmental impact statement (DEIS) seeking to increase their grandfathered 5 mgd IBT by another 18 mgd. This Union IBT DEIS is posted here for the public to download and reveiw because the NC Division of Water Resources removed this document from its website in 2007.
Union County IBT
Draft Environmental Impact Statement-Union County IBT
Expert Comments on IBT Case
Comments provided by Wright Water Engineers, Inc.
State of NC Expert Report
Expert report by Tom Reeder
Expert report for Concord-Kannapolis
Expert Report submitted on behalf of Concord-Kannapolis
Document Actions
Help Catawba Riverkeeper

Your River needs you as much as you need the River

Donate Here

Help in other ways

Report Pollution in the Catawba River

Help protect your River! 

Tell your Riverkeeper if you see:

  • Sewage Overflows
  • Failure to control sediment from construction sites
  • Illegal clearing of buffer areas
  • Fish kills 
  • Unpermitted discharges
  • Other issues that concern you

Click here to fill out a pollution reportor to report water pollution to Catawba Riverkeeper by phone, call 1-888-679-9494 or 704-679-9494.  In addition, to informing your Riverkeeper, you should also report spills or contamination to federal, state and local environmental officials.

To report South Carolina water pollution call 1-888-481-0125.

To report North Carolina spills or fish kills, call your local regional Department of Environment & Natural Resources office during normal business hours (704-663-1699 for most Catawba basin areas or (828) 296-4500 for Burke, Caldwell, McDowell and other mountain counties) or 800-858-0368 after hours.  (For more information on NC spill reporting, click here)

715 N. Church St., Suite 120 . Charlotte, NC 28202 . Phone: 704.679.9494 . Fax: 704.679.9559