Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Draft Biological Opinion Issued for Catawba Relicensing

Draft Biological Opinion Issued for Catawba Relicensing

National Marine Fisheries issued a draft biological opinion for the re-liciensing of the Catawba-Wateree Hydroelectric Project (Duke's dams on the Catawba and Wateree River). This is one of the last steps in the process of relicensing the Project.

Draft Biological Opinion Issued for Catawba Relicensing

One of the subject of the biological opinion is the fate of the sturgeon, which happens to be the logo for the Waterkeeper Alliance

On 5/29/2012, the following Filing was submitted to the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), Washington D.C.:


Docket(s):        P-2232-000

Filing Type:      Government Agency Submittal

Description:      National Marine Fisheries Service submits the draft Biological Opinion for Re-licensing of the Catawba Wateree Hydroelectric Project under P-2232. 

To view the document for this Filing, click here



Document Actions
Help Catawba Riverkeeper

Your River needs you as much as you need the River

Donate Here

Help in other ways

Report Pollution in the Catawba River

Help protect your River! 

Tell your Riverkeeper if you see:

  • Sewage Overflows
  • Failure to control sediment from construction sites
  • Illegal clearing of buffer areas
  • Fish kills 
  • Unpermitted discharges
  • Other issues that concern you

Click here to fill out a pollution reportor to report water pollution to Catawba Riverkeeper by phone, call 1-888-679-9494 or 704-679-9494.  In addition, to informing your Riverkeeper, you should also report spills or contamination to federal, state and local environmental officials.

To report South Carolina water pollution call 1-888-481-0125.

To report North Carolina spills or fish kills, call your local regional Department of Environment & Natural Resources office during normal business hours (704-663-1699 for most Catawba basin areas or (828) 296-4500 for Burke, Caldwell, McDowell and other mountain counties) or 800-858-0368 after hours.  (For more information on NC spill reporting, click here)

715 N. Church St., Suite 120 . Charlotte, NC 28202 . Phone: 704.679.9494 . Fax: 704.679.9559