Relicensing of Catawba-Wateree Hydropower

Contributors: Rick

On 3/6/2009, the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), Washington D.C., published the Draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS) for the Catawba-Wateree Hydroelectric Project.

You can view the DEIS at:

The Catawba Riverkeeper and other organizations filed comments on the DEIS.  The Catawba Riverkeeper's Comments are available at:  Catawba Riverkeeper Comments on Draft Environmental Impact Statement for Duke Hydropower Project

Other comments are available through the FERC website at under the eLibrary link.

Lake Wateree DamWritten comments relating to the relicensing process should be filed with: Kimberly D. Bose, Secretary, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, 888 First Street, N.E., Washington, DC, 20426. All comments must be filed by May 8, 2009, and should reference Project No. 2232-522. Comments may be filed electronically via the Internet in lieu of paper. The Commission strongly encourages electronic filings. See 18 CFR 385.2001(a)(1)(iii) and instructions on the Commission’s website at under the eLibrary link.

Document Actions
Help Catawba Riverkeeper

Your River needs you as much as you need the River

Donate Here

Help in other ways

Report Pollution in the Catawba River

Help protect your River! 

Tell your Riverkeeper if you see:

  • Sewage Overflows
  • Failure to control sediment from construction sites
  • Illegal clearing of buffer areas
  • Fish kills 
  • Unpermitted discharges
  • Other issues that concern you

Click here to fill out a pollution reportor to report water pollution to Catawba Riverkeeper by phone, call 1-888-679-9494 or 704-679-9494.  In addition, to informing your Riverkeeper, you should also report spills or contamination to federal, state and local environmental officials.

To report South Carolina water pollution call 1-888-481-0125.

To report North Carolina spills or fish kills, call your local regional Department of Environment & Natural Resources office during normal business hours (704-663-1699 for most Catawba basin areas or (828) 296-4500 for Burke, Caldwell, McDowell and other mountain counties) or 800-858-0368 after hours.  (For more information on NC spill reporting, click here)

715 N. Church St., Suite 120 . Charlotte, NC 28202 . Phone: 704.679.9494 . Fax: 704.679.9559