Catawba Riverkeeper Environmental Education and Kayaking (CREEK) Program
The CREEK Program is a summertime youth education adventure offered by the Catawba Riverkeeper Foundation. Space is limited. Register early!
REGISTRATION NOW OPEN!
Community outreach and education play a vital role in helping us achieve our mission. We hope to foster a sense of ownership, responsibility and appreciation in our next generation of environmental stewards to help them understand that they can make a difference in preserving and protecting our water.
The CREEK program provides an exciting, hands-on opportunity for students to see how the Catawba River system is related to their everyday lives. During the program, youth enjoy interactive learning activities on river ecology and conservation, a kayak safety and 101 lesson, and the opportunity to launch their kayaks and paddle on the Catawba River!
* All materials and kayak equipment will be provided to participants. For more information, call our office at 704-679-9494.
* Minumum group size of 10; maximum group size of 30. Students must be between the ages of 11 – 17.
* Must have one chaperone for every 10 students. Chaperones must be over the age of 18.
Location & Time
For your convenience, we operate at two locations along the Catawba River during different dates in the summer. Below is our 2017 schedule.
- Landsford Canal State Park (Catawba, SC) June 19 – July 12, 2017
- Tailrace Marina (Mt Holly, NC) July 17 – August 12, 2017
Depending on the size of your group, our program typically runs around 3 hours, including restroom and snack breaks. You may choose from the following start times:
- 10:00 am
- 10:30 am
* Snacks will be provided. We do not provide lunch. If you wish to stay for lunch, you may bring your own lunches. There are picnic areas in both locations.
How to Register
To request a CREEK Program date:
- Please read the Policies & Procedures (below).
- Click "Register Now" button to complete online Registration Form.
- You will be contacted within one week to confirm schedule and payment options. You will also receive a How to Prepare guide.
Policies & Procedures
- Online registration only. We do not take registration by phone or email.
- Tours are limited and scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Registration requires 3 weeks in advance notice.
- Once a Registration Form is submitted, you will be contacted within one week to confirm schedule and payment options.
- Minimum group size: 10; Maximum group size: 30
- There must be 1 adult chaperone (over the age of 18) for every 10 students. Chaperones must remain with students at all times.
- It is important that you provide an accurate number, so we can prepare the correct amount of equipment and appropriate number of staff for your group.
- ALL students must have guardian/parent complete Release Form.
- ALL chaperones must complete Release Form.
- ALL completed Release Forms must be given to CREEK Director before start of program. Email ahead of time, if possible.
- Payment must be made in one form of payment in one transaction.
- Payment via check written to “Catawba Riverkeeper Foundation” can be made the day-of scheduled trip, before start of program.
- No other forms of payment will be accepted if paying the day-of scheduled trip.
- If you wish to pay before the scheduled trip, you may:
- Mail or drop-off check to Catawba Riverkeeper Foundation, 715 N. Church Street, Suite 120, Charlotte, NC 28202.
- Pay with card over the phone. Call 704-679-9494.
Cancellations & Refunds
- Normally, we do not cancel if it is merely raining; however, if weather conditions are adverse (i.e. high or fast moving waters), we will notify you. Full refunds will be given. Reschedule dates can be discussed.
- If your group must cancel for any reason other than adverse weather, call the CREEK Program Director at least 24 hours in advance at 704-679-9494. Reschedule dates are not guaranteed.
- Any refunds or payments will be processed within 10 business days.