The Catawba Riverkeeper Environmental Education and Kayaking (CREEK) summer program educates participants on the importance of water and the Catawba River. This youth education program aims to foster an early appreciation of our natural environment through hands-on, outdoor learning and the exciting opportunity to experience the Catawba River first-hand in a kayak.
The Catawba Riverkeeper Foundation seeks motivated Education and Kayaking Program interns to work closely with and under the supervision of our CREEK Education Director. Interns will assist in educational lessons and activities; lead youth and adult kayak excursions; as well as coordinating materials, volunteers, and school groups. Other duties may include assisting with events and programs and/or some administrative tasks.
- Strong interest or experience in environmental education, conservation, and/or non-profits
- Must be able to wade, walk, and swim in the river
- Ability to lift and carry kayaks
- Experience with kayaks highly preferred
- Ability to work well in a team
- Excellent interpersonal skills, especially among youth of varying ages and backgrounds
- Ability to speak in front of large groups
- Ability to multitask and attention to detail
- Dependable and punctual
- Valid driver’s license – Must be willing and able to travel to Landsford Canal State Park (June/July) and Tailrace Marina (July/August)
- Ability to pass Background Check
- CPR Certification preferred
Please note before applying: this position is outdoors and requires a lot of physical activity.
Start late May/early June until mid-August depending on academic schedule. The CREEK Program is from June 11, 2018 to August 17, 2018. Training and paddles may begin before the CREEK Program begins.
Must be able to work the dates of the CREEK Program. Exact dates TBA.
Average of 20 hours/week, Monday – Friday
How to Apply
Applications will be accepted and interviews conducted on a rolling basis.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and contact information of 2 references to Hillary Zorman at email@example.com with “Summer 2018 [Title of Internship]” in the subject line.
All internships are unpaid. We can work with your institution to provide academic credit.