Position Title: Northern Basin Coordinator
Accountability: The Northern Basin Coordinator will report to the Riverkeeper.
About the Catawba Riverkeeper Foundation (Catawba Riverkeeper):
Founded in 1997, the Catawba Riverkeeper Foundation was the 21st waterkeeper organization in the United States. Now a part of an international movement of waterkeepers that boasts over 400 local organizations, we preserve and protect the waters of the Catawba-Wateree River Basin for generations to come. Our 5,000 square mile river basin includes over 5,000 miles of waterways. We accomplish our mission in three ways:
We EDUCATE students and the public on how they can make a positive impact on the water quality in our region.
We provide opportunities for people to ENGAGE with the river to have a better understanding of the importance of our natural resources.
We PROTECT our river basin via enforcement resources, scientific fieldwork, and citizen action.
Catawba Riverkeeper is a community focused organization supported by more than 5,700 members and volunteers located throughout a 26-county river basin that dedicate time, talent and treasure to ensuring the protection of the Catawba-Wateree River. Our professional staff of 8 and volunteer board of 16 guide the work of this passionate group of people.
The Northern Basin Coordinator (NBC) will advance the goals of Catawba Riverkeeper Foundation (CRF) by creating and executing a Northern Basin Plan. In this role the NBC will work to fulfill the requirements of our NC Land and Water Fund (NCLWF) grant. The NBC will work in close coordination with the Lake James Environmental Association, other nonprofits, local municipalities, landowners, educational institutions, geospatial analysts, and others with expertise to achieve the desired outcomes of approved projects.
Day to Day Duties:
- Manage and execute the organization’s Upper Basin Planning Grant. This project is funded over 18 months and will require the NBC to:
- Review existing data analyses and plans to identify target areas
- Review county and municipal economic development plans to determine which target areas could be impacted (either positively or negatively) by planned development activities
- Develop an implementation plan. This plan to include estimated cost in time and resources to implement identified work at project sites and will identify potential funding opportunities for land acquisition, innovative stormwater management, and stream restoration
- Mange project accounting to report to the Fund
- Assist Riverkeeper as directed on other projects in the watershed. These may include but are not limited to CRF’s summer Swim Guide Program, CAFO sampling, NC Waterkeepers Plastics Project, and the Litter Gitter Program.
- Participate, as appropriate and able, with the organization’s fundraising and marketing efforts as requested by Catawba Riverkeeper staff members
- Other duties as assigned by the Riverkeeper
- Bachelor’s Degree in a scientific field related to the day-to-day work of the position.
- Demonstrable experience completing large data rich reports
- Must be a team player willing to step into a variety of roles within the organization
- Must live or be willing to relocate near the Northern Catawba Watershed (relocation expenses are not available). This includes Marion, Morganton, and Hickory.
- Must be willing to work nights and weekends as needed
- Must maintain a valid driver’s license at all times
- Experience in kayaking, canoeing, or small boat operation a plus.
The annual salary will be $37,000 to $44,000 plus benefits depending on qualifications. Benefits include PTO, health insurance, dental, HSA, 401k match, and pro deal discounts on recreational equipment and apparel.
The position currently has grant funding through December 2022. Assuming mutual desire, CRF will seek additional funding to create a permanent staff position.
Please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Qualified candidates will be interviewed as received.