The Volunteer Coordinator will help harness the interest of community members to support various activities of the organization. They will support Catawba Riverkeeper’s goal to expand our activities and deepen each volunteer’s connection with the Riverkeeper’s mission. The Volunteer Coordinator will work closely with many staff members to help implement initiatives where volunteer engagement opportunities exist. They will be the first touch point for all volunteer activities and oversee the smooth integration of their involvement and relationship with the organization.
Current volunteer programs include:
- Regularly occurring river, lake, and stream cleanups including Catawba Riversweep, the largest single-day volunteer event across the basin
- Citizen Science: Litter Gitter, Water Watchers, fishing line recycling, invasive species management, stream/shoreline restoration, Swim Guide, and Rain Barrel Workshops
- Education: Youth programs and camps
- Community: Catawba Riverkeeper Ambassadors, outreach events, special events
Day to Day Duties:
- Oversee the internal volunteer management system
- Develop and coordinate volunteer opportunities under the direction of the appropriate staff
- Work with the marketing team to create effective volunteer recruitment strategies including website/email/social media messaging, volunteer intake forms, program/event registration, mass communication, and in-person event recruitment tactics
- Communicate with volunteers before, during, and after events in partnership with various staff, as needed
- Track and analyze volunteer efforts: recruitment, registration and on-site engagement
- Establish positive volunteer relationships and appreciation tactics
- Develop and execute all the Citizen Science projects with support from the Riverkeeper, Protect team staff, and Program Director
- Lead the public and private cleanups from coordination to wrap up with support from the Engagement Manager and Program Director
- Lead the volunteer logistical component for the annual CRF Riversweep special event
- Lead most volunteer activities as the on-site host – ex. lake/stream cleanups
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to converse with and listen to varying types of people
- Highly organized (calendar management, file storage)
- Ability to manage multiple projects at once
- Must be a self-starter
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Excel, Word, SharePoint, etc.)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skill
- Ability to work nights and weekends
- Capable of standing for long periods of time and lifting 50lbs
The Volunteer Coordinator will work out of the Catawba Riverkeeper office in McAdenville, NC. They will also be required to travel to various events and meetings within the Catawba-Wateree River Basin. Mileage is reimbursed.
The starting annual salary will be $32,000-$35,000, based on experience, plus benefits. Benefits valued at $5,000-$10,000 including paid time off (PTO), health insurance, dental, HSA, IRA match, and pro deal discounts on recreational equipment and apparel.
How to Apply
Applicants should email their resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis, as applications are received.